Department of Computer
University of Illinois,
- 3228 Siebel Center,
201 N. Goodwin Ave,
- 217-265-0705 (office)
- Support staff: Samantha Smith, sdsmith3@illinois, 217-300-0149, 3240 Siebel
- Fall 2018: CS 374 Algorithms and Models of Computation
- Spring 2019: CS 498 Algorithms for Big Data
- Approximation Algorithms:
Spring 2011*, Spring 2009, Fall 2006
- Algorithms and Models of Computation: Spring 2017*, Fall 2015, Spring 2015
- Algorithms: Fall 2016
- Algorithms for Big Data: Fall 2014
- (Undergraduate) Algorithms: Spring 2014*, Spring 2012, Fall 2010, Fall 2009, Fall 2008, Fall 2007
- Graduate Algorithms: Fall 2011*
- Topics in Combinatorial Optimization: Spring 2010*
- Algorithmic Game Theory: Spring 2008
- Introduction to Theory of Computation: Spring 2007
*: students once in a while think I can teach. My daughter is not as complimentary.
Research Interests and Publications
- theoretical computer science
- design and analysis of
- discrete and combinatorial
- approximation algorithms
- mathematical programming
- algorithmic applications
Most of my papers and a few talks are available online. Google Scholar profile.
- Kent Quanrud: PhD advisee (joint with Sariel Har-Peled)
- Manuel Torres: PhD advisee
- Xilin Yu: PhD advisee
- Vivek Madan: PhD, August 2018. Georgia Tech ARC postdoc in Fall 2018.
- Shalmoli Gupta: PhD, August 2018. Facebook, CA
- Chao Xu: PhD, May 2018 (jointly supervised with Karthik Chandrasekaran). Yahoo! Research, New York
- Mark Idleman: MS, July 2017. SE at LiveRamp
- Shweta Patwa: MS, May 2017. PhD Student at Duke
- Alina Ene: PhD, July 2013. Princeton → Univ. of Warwick → Boston Univ.
- Ali Vakilian: MS, July 2013. MIT PhD student
- Ben Moseley: PhD, July 2012. TTI Chicago → Washington University, St. Louis → Tepper School of Business, CMU
- Sungjin Im: PhD, June 2012. Duke → UC Merced
- Nitish Korula: PhD, July 2010. Google Research
- Sanchit Kalhan: senior thesis, Spring 2016.
- Thapanapong Rukkanchanunt: senior thesis, Fall 2011.
- Matthew Gregory: senior thesis, Spring 2009. Microsoft
- Kyle Fox: senior thesis, Spring 2008. UIUC PhD student → ICERM, Brown → Duke → UT Dallas
- Summer interns at Bell Labs: Rajat Bhattacharjee, Amit Chakrabarti, Marcelo Mydlarz (along with Bruce Shepherd), An Zhu
Conference/workshop program committees and organization:
Current and future: FSTTCS 2018, SOSA 2019.
Past: Simons workshop, STOC 2016, BIRS Workshop on Approximation 2014, SODA 2014 (PC Chair), APPROX 2013, IPCO 2013, SODA 2012, BIRS Approx. Workshop 2011
APPROX 2010, COCOON 2010, ISMP 2009, NetCod 2009, ITW 2008, FAW 2008, ISAAC 2007, STOC 2007, APPROX 2007,
APPROX 2005 (PC Chair)
FSTTCS 2004, APPROX 2004, FOCS 2003, APPROX 2003.
Mathematics of Operations Research. March 2013 -- .
Mathematical Programming Ser A. Jan 2009 -- Jan 2016.
Journal of Computer System Sciences (JCSS). Nov 2005 -- March 2013.
Area Editor: Springer Encyclopedia on Algorithms - completed.
Guest co-editor for Algorithmica special issue
on selected papers from APPROX/RANDOM 2005 - completed.
Guest co-editor for JCSS special issue on
selected papers from FOCS 2003 - completed